Milan is one of the most developed Italian cities, but this doesn’t mean it is an industrialized city that lost its spirit. The heart of Milano is still preserved in the old central area of the city, where most of the sights to visit are located.
Built in circles, Milan’s center hosts many medieval buildings that are worth visiting. First time visitors may use a Hop-on Hop-off bus tour to check all the great sights. If the time allows you, a walking tour is what we recommend to allow you to fully enjoy the best of what Milan has to offer.
Among top destinations to see in Milan, Italy, we can note:
– Duomo – this is Milan’s spiritual center. It is a beautiful architectural cathedral. In front of Milano Duomo there is the starting point for Hop-on Hop-off bus tours
– Castello Sforzesco – just west of Duomo you may find Piazza Castello that hosts the Castello Schioveszi with 500 years of history. It is free to visit and located just near the park where you can relax after a walk around the castle
– Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore – built on a foundation dating 4th century, renovated in the 16th century, the Basilica keeps its Byzantine structure
– Santa Maria delle Grazie – also known as the home of Last Supper (last meal Jesus shared with his last 12 apostles), one of the best known paintings of Leonardo da Vinci
– Rectangle of Gold – Milan’s fashion center where you can bag the latest styles for any sort of clothing. Milano’s fashion weeks are in February and September
The heart of the city also lays in the football stadiums it hosts. Inter Milan and AC Milan are two local rival teams that sets the heart beating during their games in Serie A, Champions League or Europa League. If you travel during full football season be sure to also check one of the games played here.
Check TripEconomy.com for cheap hotel bookings in Milan, Italy.