Winter holidays are the most wonderful time of the year and the best period to visit Christmas markets, whether you are looking for presents or you just want to get closer to Christmas spirit by listening lovely carols and trying tasty delicacies. Germany, France and the United Kingdom are hosting the best Christmas markets in Europe, together with Austria, Belgium and Finland, so let’s see which would be the most appreciated markets and why are they so unique.
● Vienna Magic of Advent is the most well-known traditional Christmas market in Vienna, which turns the City Hall Square into a shinning dream land, surrounded by festively decorated trees and thousands of lights. The stalls are full of Christmas gifts, decorations, delicious sweets and warming drinks, awaiting the visitors to try a little bit of everything. There are also workshops available for children and a carousel, so this market is perfect both for parents and kids.
● The Christkindelsmärik in Strasbourg is the oldest Christmas market in Europe, held since 1570 without losing its traditions. There are neither more nor less than 300 stalls spread out over 12 locations in the city center, all of them keeping the authenticity and the spiritual environment from the past. The schedule is very well organized, including four Advent concerts, a Living Nativity and much live music and cultural events.
● Cologne Christmas Markets, from Germany, couldn’t miss from our list, since the magic of Christmas will be felt throughout the fabulously decorated city streets. Visit Cologne to feel the baked apples smell, to taste the mulled wine and the cinnamon biscuits and not at least, to buy some cute presents, decorations and souvenirs from the thematic stalls.
● Manchester Christmas Market, in U.K., is another must-see attraction. The oldest Christmas market in U.K. is the ideal destination for a festive outing, where you will be able to try delicious international food and drinks and, for the first time, in 2016 you can enjoy some good entertainment like street theaters, light performers and magicians. Don’t forget to visit the Manchester Cathedral and to admire from above the view over this amazing market.
● Winter Wonders in Brussels is another dream land for any child and adult, providing a festive atmosphere with unforgettable activities, delicious food and cultural spectacles. The colorful stalls are the main attraction, together with the sparkling lights and the ice skating rink. Beside these, there are also some great activities to join: the festive Christmas Parade, the video-mapping on the facade of St. Catherine Church and the Ferris Wheel.
● Helsinki Christmas Market completes the list with the best Christmas markets from Europe in 2016. Visiting it is a relaxing experience, a perfect time to be spent with family and friends, enjoying good food and buying nice gifts for the loved ones. There are more than 140 vendors here and the beauty of this market is that whenever you buy something, they will give you an extra-gift. Don’t miss a ride in the old carousel and a tasty dinner at the restaurants from the market area.
So this is Christmas around Europe. Traditional markets, light shows, decorated stalls and trees and music concerts, all these create a unique ambiance, well-known as the Christmas spirit. So if you want to see traditions from more countries and to spend this Christmas in a different way, choose your favorite place and go visit it. Book your flight with 💼TripEconomy and spend the holidays travelling and exploring.